Ir al contenido principal

Post 9 - If you could be someone else, who would you be?

This time we will be writing about a person you would like to be for 24 hours/alter ego.
Before you write, try to think about the following:
  • why you want to be someone else
  • pick a name and add a picture
  • describe the personality of your chosen person/character/alter ego
  • in what circumstances, your chosen person/character/alter ego will play a part / tell a story if you will
  • would you keep it or leave after the 24 hours?
In case you don't get any ideas, you could check:
  • http://www.worcestermag.com/2016/10/13/who-would-you-be-if-you-could-be-someone-else
  • https://www.quora.com/If-you-could-live-as-someone-else-for-a-day-who-would-you-choose-to-become
Leave comments on three of your classmates' blog posts and one on mine too. A quality post should have no less than 190 words. 

A Successful Engineer
Everybody wants to be special. However, in order to be special you have to become someone worth admiring. But who do you really want to impress? and to what extent you're capable of pretending to be someone that seems utterly untrue to every one and yourself? Be careful with what you wish for. You may end up being someone you can't stand.
 
I've always got the feeling that being authentic is a really pain-taking search. I mean, what does it really mean to be yourself? who the (hell) am I? I have no satisfactory answer for this fundamental question. Although I don't want get very profound, as this is not the place to attempt to reveal the truth of all truths, I'll try to explain myself in simple words.
Ever since I was a child, I've tried to imitate some of the people's traits I've considered worth making my own. For example, in our early childhood, who didn't want to be like his/her father/mother? Back in the day, I remember wanting nothing more than becoming like my father. 
As we grow older and our social circle expands more and more, we start paying attention to other people's ways. I think this is the  stage when we start developing some sort of sense of self: we pay close attention to what we want and certainly don't want for our well-being. In other words, here we build up our ego based on the various pieces we come across from 'out there'; our social environment.  We make friends, and start comparing ourselves to them (we actually don't stop doing this till the very day we day). On the one hand, some of these comparisons can be very productive, as they help us to become a better version of ourselves; and, on the other hand, they can also make us feel very miserable, as we experience some sort of lack of achievement in life.
At school, I never had good marks. At that time, I wanted to have good marks in maths, so I could be like everybody else becoming an engineer and making a good living. I wanted to be like my best friend. The things is that getting good marks was a piece of cake for him. I wanted to have that brain. Yes! I thought about a head replacement.
Now, I compare myself to others when I want to achieve something on my own. I'm not the most intelligent person on earth, but when I see other people making things work, I get myself into it too. So, if I could be someone else for one day, I would choose to be one piece of me (my best possible self) reacting to a different experience.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Post 3 - What's your favourite piece of technology?

Hello, my dear explorers! The post assignment for this week is: What is your favourite piece of technology? The idea is to develop a quite convincing argument about the piece of technology you personally think it makes your life easier or more confortable if you like. Please, include: What it is When you got it How you use it. How often you use it Why you like it What life would be like without it Posdata: Your post should have no less than 140 words include a picture leave a comment on three of your classmates' posts and another one on your teacher's post as well To be perfectly honest, I am not the kind of person who is really into the latest technology advances. I do not really care about the latest smart mobile phones, TV screens, cars, or even washing machines, being advertised everywhere and everytime. But, I do not deny the fact that technology has changed our lives for better efficient ends. Personally, I do believe that computers with inte

Post 5 - A photograph and its story

Hello, everyone! For post 5, you have to write about a meaningful photograph of yours. The length of your posts should be in no less than 150 words. Remember to leave comments and put up the photo. Try to say: what we can see in the picture when the picture was taken what happened at the moment someone took the picture or what you were doing at that moment  How you felt You might find some useful info by checking out: http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/exams/speaking-exams/describe-photo-or-picture C Minor On a previous post, I said that when I was much younger, I was really into literature, especially into writing poetry. Well, so I think this is the best chance I have to tell you about it. I liked writing poems at school, but I never dared go a step further. So, I just used to write some verses on notepads that no one would ever read or know about, except the girlfriend I had at that time. The thing is that this girlfriend and I used to attend po

Post 7 - A career-related website / an expert on your field

On today's post, we will be talking about some websites or experts on our field we consider important to consult from time to time.  The idea is you do some research and single out those pieces of information you can't miss if you're dealing with any given subject on your field. So you should choose some websites/blogs or experts' work you deem worth visiting or reading. Write a brief outline about them. Explain why those topics and/or authorities are important in your opinion. This time, the length of your posts should be in no less than 170 words, and try to leave comments on everybody's posts as usual. Useful language: Suggest or recommend: https://www.espressoenglish.net/english-phrases-with-recommend-and-suggest/ Should: https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/should Giving advice:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cpZ7mGj0Xg http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/flatmates/episode31/languagepoint.shtml Researching I fini